It was much to fans’ exhilaration when Chef Cat Cora came back to Singapore early last May to see the launch of the new lunch menu at Ocean Restaurant by Cat Cora. I happened to be one of that lucky fangirl who got to meet her in person and had an opportunity of attending her cooking demonstration.
I will be sharing two of her recipes in this post, one of which is part of the new 4-course lunch menu at Ocean Restaurant by Cat Cora.
Recipe: Pan Seared Glacier 51 Toothfish Mentaiko with Yuzu-Soy Reduction, Crispy Garlic & Scallion
Pan seared toothfish:
– 100g toothfish
– Sea salt & pepper
1) Brush both sides of the toothfish with butter, sea salt and pepper.
2) Pan sear both sides of the toothfish till golden brown. Alternatively, you can place it in oven to bake at 160 degrees Celsius till cooked (max 12 minutes)
– 100g Kikkoman
– 20g yuzu juice
– 10g sesame oil
– 200g Dashi stock
– 10g sugar
– 10g grapeseed oil
Combine ingredients, heat mixture until it boils. Set aside.
– Peeled cucumber
– Sea salt
1) Season the cucumber & vacuum pack it.
2) Sous vide it at 87 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
3) Slice and serve.
– 10g mentaiko
– Crispy garlic
– Chopped scallion
1) Pour the yuzu-soy reduction into plate.
2) Place 3 slices of braised cucumber in the centre of the plate.
3) Set the toothfish on top of the cucumbers.
4) Finish the plating with garnishes and serve.
Recipe: Blue Swimmer Crab Risotto with Fennel & Crab Roe
– 50g unsalted butter (alternatively you can substitute with extra virgin olive oil)
– 250g risotto
– 100g chopped onion
– 2 pcs bay leaves (dry ones provide aroma without overpowering)
– 100ml cooking white wine
– 300-500ml chicken stock
1) Melt butter and sauté the chopped onion in a sauté pan.
2) Add in risotto to sauté (sauté it dry before adding liquid in the later stage)
3) Add in bay leaves
4) Deglaze pan with white wine (to pick up the fond)
5) Add chicken stock to cook & simmer. (NOTE: add in chicken stock in 3 parts, submersing the rice each time, and let the rice cook down and absorb the stock in between each part. Do not at the stock all at once.)
– 100g precooked risotto (from above steps)
– 30-40g blue swimmer crabmeat
– 100ml crab broth
– 5g chopped parsley
– 10g grated parmesan cheese
– 10g raw crab roe
1) Sauté the precooked risotto with crabmeat.
2) Add in crab broth.
3) Once the stock is absorbed, add in cheese, parsley and lastly crab roe.
– 50g shaved baby fennel
– A drizzle of olive oil.
Thank you Resorts World Sentosa for organising the cooking demonstration.