Honoured to be selected by the panel of judges to be one of the top 10 finalists for Singapore’s Best Cooking Blog in the Singapore Blog Awards 2013, I was also given the opportunity to attend an enriching cooking workshop held at Onaka.
Chefs Jason and Benson demonstrated several recipes utilising appliances sponsored by Panasonic, which include a rice cooker, the Panasonic microwave oven NN-SV30, and the Panasonic mixer grinder MX-AC300 / 400.
In this post, I will be recapping on the recipes we’ve learnt, supplemented by a multitude of pictures for better comprehension. Do try these recipes at home!
Healthy Smoothie: Onaka Living Green
- 1 x Coconut (water + flesh)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 x Pear (core removed)
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 5 leaves baby Spinach
1) Place all ingredients in Panasonic mixer grinder/ blender
2) Blend till smooth.
Note: Blended in Panasonic mixer grinder MX-AC300 / 400
- 300g minced Chicken
- 60g fresh mushroom (sliced)
- 100g English celery (diced)
- 200g edamame bean
- 150g white onion (chopped coarsely)
- 3 garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 2 tbsp plain flour ]
- 4 tbsp water ] Mix together
- 1tbsp Konbu shio ]
- 1 tbsp tamari ]
- 1 tbsp olive oil or corn oil
- 1 kg potato (washed, pierced skin with fork)
- 120g shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp milk ]
- 3 tsp melted butter ]
- ½ tsp black pepper ] Mix together
- ¼ tsp salt ]
- 1 egg ]
- 5g saffron (optional)
1) Cook onion, garlic and oil in a 2 litre oven proof casserole dish on 1000w or High power for 5 minutes, stir in-between. Do not cover with lid.
2) Add chicken, salt, sugar and black pepper, cook on 600w or Medium power for 3 minutes, uncovered.
3) Add mixed vegetables, mushroom and celery, cook on 600w or Medium power for 3 minutes, covered with lid.
4) Stir in flour mixture, cook on 1000w or High power for 2 minutes, covered. Leave aside.
5) Cook potato with 3 tbsp water on 1000w or High power for 15-16 minutes, covered, turn over at half the time and continue cooking.
6) Peel potato skin, mash potatoes with fork or blend in a food processor.
7) Add ingredients A and mix well, spread ½ of the potato, over the cooked chicken.
8) Sprinkle ½ of cheese on top, follow by remaining mashed potato.
9) Sprinkle remaining cheese and paprika.
10) Preheat oven at 200C till hot.
11) Bake at 200C for 30 minutes., till surface is golden brown. (Place baking tray in the centre shelf)
Note: Baked in Panasonic microwave oven model NN-SV30.
The Farmer Pie is pure comfort food. You can play around with the recipe to cater to your own liking. Replace the chicken with minced beef for a Shepherd’s Pie.
- 300g yam (cubed)
- 1 slice chicken bak kwa (cubed)
- 2 chinese mushroom (soaked, sliced)
- 40g dried prawn (soaked, drained)
- 80g shallot (chopped)
- 100g rice flour
- 30g tapioca starch
- 550ml water
- 1½ tbsp roasted sesame seed (use for garnishing)
- 1 stalk spring onion (diced, for garnishing)
- 1 red chilli (diced, for garnishing)
- 1 ½ tbsp light sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp five spice powder
- ½ tsp sesame oil
1) Cook shallot with 4 tbsp oil on High power for about 4-6 minutes, uncovered. (Stir-in-between)
2) Cook dried prawn on high power for 1 min, uncovered, add 1 tsp shallot oil, and cook for another 1 min.
3) Add chicken, cook for 1 min, stir-in-between during cooking. Leave aside.
4) Cook yam with 2 tbsp water on High power for 6 minutes, covered with lid.
5) Add flour, water, sauce, mushroom and cooked ingredients, cooked on High power for 4 minutes, uncovered.
6) Stir, cooked on Medium power for 16 minutes, covered. (600w)
Tah Dah! Straight out the oven.
7) Do not serve immediately because pudding has yet to set. Suggested to serve in 2-3 hrs time.
8) When ready, serve with golden brown shallot, spring onion, sesame seed and chilli.
Note: Cooked in NN-SV30. You may replace with Chinese sausage with chicken sausage
Hong Kong Style Ginger Egg Pudding
- 2 eggs (about 100g)
- 110g cooled boiled water
- 20g ginger juice
- 20g rock sugar syrup (1.5 part sugar to 1 part water)
1) Mix all ingredients well, do not beat the mixture too hard, create as little bubble as possible.
2) Pour into mould and cling wrap the mould
3) Fill rice cooker with water
4) Select to steam function
5) Place the mould into the rice cooker.
6) Close the lid and steam for 8 minutes.
The texture of the egg pudding is soft and consistently silky.
- 3 green apples (peeled and slice)
- 30g sultanas
- 90g soft brown sugar
- 30g butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 60ml water
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 ½ tbsp cornflour (dilute with 1 ½ tbsp water)
- 1 pack of large spring roll skin
1) Cook apples, sultanas, sugar, cinnamon powder and water on High power for 10 minutes, covered. (stir in-between)
2) Stir in butter, lemon juice and cornflour, cook on High power for 1 ½ minutes, covered. Leave aside to cool.
3) Wrap two tablespoons of apple filling in the spring roll skin
4) Fold it into a samosa shape.
5) Preheat oven at 200C till hot.
6) Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes. (use top shelf)
7) Egg wash baked pastry, bake for another 5 minutes.
Note: Best baked in Panasonic microwave oven NN-SV30
Don’t forget to cast your vote for your favourite cooking blog ()!