Things are getting sweetened up at Regent Hotel, with Executive Pastry Chef Domenico Di Clemente from Michelin-starred Il Palagio at Four Seasons Hotel Firenze presenting sweet creations at Dolcetto by Basilico from 16 January 2013.
I had the privilege of attending Chef Domenico’s first-ever chocolate showcase in Singapore. The Chocolate Masterclass was held at Basilico Restaurant’s well-equipped private cooking studio, where cooking demos and classes are held upon request or booking.
We learnt how to make one of Chef Domenico’s signature creations, the Warm Chocolate Tart with Coffee Zabaglione. It was a fun, engaging and enriching session where we learnt so much from the talented chefs!
Want to make something from scratch to surprise your loved ones this Valentine’s Day? Here’s the recipe! It’s time to warm up your kitchen with some intense baking during this season of love.
Recipe: Warm Chocolate Tart with Coffee Zabaglione
Sweet Chocolate Pastry
- 300g soft flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 180g butter
- 113g icing sugar
- 38g almond flour
- 5g vanilla essence
- 3g salt
- 66g fresh eggs
1. Add soft flour, cocoa powder, icing sugar, almond flour, vanilla extract, salt and butter into a mixing bowl.
2. Mix for 2 minutes and add the eggs at the end.
3. Keep in the fridge overnight before using.
4. Flatten with a rolling pin and cut out a round base. Bake it in the oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
Chocolate Tart Filling
- 300g dark chocolate
- 90g granulated sugar
- 6 whole eggs
- 90g butter
- 5g cocoa powder
- 5g corn flour
1. Melt chocolate in a bain marie or double boiler.
2. Whip the eggs with sugar till light and soft.
3. Mix together cocoa powder and corn flour.
4. Pour the mixture into the whipped eggs and combine gently.
5. Add the melted chocolate and continue mixing.
6. Keep the mixture in a piping bag at room temperature. When the tart shell is cooled, pipe in the mixture and rebake the tart at 180°C for another 4 minutes.
- 170g egg yolk
- 70g water
- 150g granulated sugar
- 2 espresso shots
1. Combine all the ingredients together and whip in a bain marie till warm.
2. Remove the mixture from the bain marie and place it in a glass bowl. Keep whipping until soft and light.
3. Spoon the coffee zabaglione onto the baked tart.
For the final touch, dust over with some cocoa powder using a sieve.
Having an interactive hands-on learning session with the chefs in person beats reading up recipes online or from cookbooks. You get watch the action, pick up useful tips and skills, and ask many questions. Thank you for such a wonderful session!
There will also be a series of events during Chef Domenico’s stay in Singapore that are not to be missed. Here are the details:
A Tuscan Affair
Thursday, 17 January 2013
7pm – 10pm
$89++ per guest (inclusive of free-flow Prosecco)
Limited seats are available. For reservations, please call /6 or email
Franz Haas Wine Dinner
Friday, 18 January 2013
7pm – 10pm
$108++ per guest
The Franz Haas Wine Dinner is where Chef Domenico will add a sweet finishing touch to Basilico Restaurant Chef Angelo Ciccone’s exquisite four-course meal that’s paired beautifully with exceptional wines. Highlights on the menu include Strozzapreti Pasta with Slow-Braised Wild Boar Ragout and Assorted Mushrooms; Angus Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Polenta and Fontina Cheese, Smoked Foie Gras Terrine and Truffle Jus; as well as Chef Domenico’s Amedei Dark Chocolate Cremoso with “Amarelli” Liquorice Meringue and Sassolino Liquor Ice Cream.
Limited seats are available. For reservations, please call or email