Mid-Autumn Festival is around the corner. Have you made your mooncake orders, or are you planning to get your hands (and kitchen) dirty and bake some from scratch? If you’re planning on the latter, you’re in luck! The recipe in this post, (tried, tested and triumphant), is nothing like the usual ones stamped out of squarish ornate moulds.
I had the privilege of attending a mooncake-making media workshop held at Resorts World Sentosa’s elegant and luxurious Chinese restaurant, Feng Shui Inn. Emphasising hugely on healthy eating, Feng Shui Inn introduces the baked flaky pastry for the first time, which encases organic golden sweet potatoes for a healthier alternative. It is lower in calories, fat and sugar content.
They have generously provided the recipe so everyone could give them a try. This version is a twist from the traditional Teochew mooncakes that have purple yam as fillings.
Making your own mooncake allows you to control the amount of calories and the nutritional content. Feel free to tweak the recipe to your own liking.
Recipe: Flaky Pastry with Organic Golden Sweet Potatoes (Serves 10)
500g Sweet Potatoes
1200g Narcissus Flour
250g High-Gluten Flour
500g dough fat
Making the sweet potato paste
1. Peel, cut and wash the sweet potatoes.
2. Steam the potatoes for 15 minutes until soft.
3. In a blender, blend the sweet potatoes until mashed.
4. Add 10ml of cooking oil and 100g of sugar into a cooking pan.
5. Simmer and cook the mashed potatoes until thick and leave it to cool.
Making the flaky skin and the filling
1. In a mixing bowl, add 1200g narcissus flour, 250g high-gluten flour, 400ml water, 500g dough fat and knead into dough. When consistency is thick, add dough fat.
2. Flatten the dough and cut into 2 equal sheets before stacking them up into 2 layers.
3. Repeat the step above and stack into a total of 4 layers.
4. Repeat the step above and stack into a total of 6 layers for the texture of the skin. (3 steps in total)
5. Freeze the layered dough in the freezer for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the layered dough from the freezer.
7. Chop off the ends of the layered dough and cut into slices. Make sure your knife is slanted at 45 degree while slicing.
8. Roll the potato paste into a ball (about 40g) and with the help of a roller pin, flatten the dough sheets into 4cm by 4cm sizes.
9. Wrap the potato paste into the 4cm by 4cm flattened dough sheet by folding the dough sheet into half.
10. Place the excess dough in between your thumb and the index finger while pushing and folding it at the same time. Focus on folding in the sides of the dough sheets till it’s fully sealed and pinch off the excess dough to achieve a full round ball.
11. Continue Step 9 with the other 9 dough sheets and potato balls.
Baking of mooncakes
1. Bake the mooncakes in the oven for 20 minutes at 180°C
Alternatively, you can choose to deep fry the mooncakes as well.
Deep frying of mooncakes
1. Warm up the wok filled with cooking oil for a few minutes
2. Arrange the mooncakes nicely in a skimmer
3. Deep fry it for one and ½ mins till it turns light golden brown
Making your own mooncakes yields great satisfaction!
So in love with the thin, flaky crust and smooth sweet potato filling. I’d definitely try this recipe again at home.
Apart from this flaky mooncake, Chinese Head Chef Li Kwok Kwong from Feng Shui Inn, together with his team of dedicated chefs, has created an assortment of meticulously handcrafted mooncake treats.
Some of the must-tries include the Hawaiian Golden Pineapple with premium grad AA Imperial bird’s nest in soft baked skin and the White Butter Skin with Pandan sweet corn paste –two of my personal favourites from the collection.
Resorts World Sentosa’s range of mooncakes is available from 16 August till 19 September 2013. Prices start from $42 for a box of 4.
Click here to view the order form.
Purchase them at:
- Feng Shui Inn (Crockford Towers, Level G2)
- Asian Deli (Festive Hotel Lobby)
- Festive Grand Café (Forum, Level 1)
- Porte Cochere (Beside The Galleria)
To make your orders, call or email
- MasterCard Cardmembers enjoy 10% off every purchase from 16 Aug – 19 Sep.
- Citibank Cardmembers enjoy 25% off every purchase from 16 Aug – 1 Sep; 15% off every purchase from 2 – 19 Sep. Citibank MasterCard Cardmembers enjoy 20% off every purchase from 2 – 19 Sep.
- RWS Invites Privileges: Early bird (16 Aug – 1 Sep) Buy 2 get 1 free; (2 – 19 Sep) 25% off every purchase. Not a member? Get invited now: https://rwsinvites.rwsentosa.com/