I’ve always had an aversion to corn kernels. You’d see me picking them out painstakingly from any dish that comes with it, or spit them out if I happen to bite into them. Its natural sweetness is something I adore –it’s the texture that irks me. With the use of Bamix Magicwand, the irksome texture of corn kernels breaks down into a smooth puree –and the flavour of corn is intensified. This is by far one of my favourite sauces I’ve made. Do try this recipe and tell me what you think!
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp oil
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 1 tbsp water (room temperature)
- 3 pieces boneless chicken thigh, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ pack Whole Kernel Corn (I’m using the Del Monte 380g pack)
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 125ml milk (low-fat milk is fine)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- ½ clove of garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
1) In a large bowl, mix together the salt, sugar, white pepper, chilli powder, oil and corn flour mixture from Ingredients (A). Add the chicken pieces, turn to coat and let it marinade for about 20 minutes.
2) In a deep bowl, combine the melted butter, corn & liquid from the pack, sugar, salt and milk, blend into a smooth puree, and set aside. You can use a blender, food processor or the Bamix Magicwand hand blender that I’m using. The hand blender gives you more control and it’s easier to wash.
3) Heat a large pan with 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Stir-fry the onion with salt until translucent. Add in garlic and fry till fragrant.
4) Add chicken into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
5) Add in the corn puree and cover. Allow it to reach boiling point before turning down the heat to low. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
6) Before serving, add a touch of freshly ground black pepper.
I’ve also tried the sauce with pan-seared fish fillet, and it works beautifully together.
Bamix hand blenders are available at the following Mayer Marketing showrooms: Great World City, 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-25, Tel: ; Plaza Singapura, , #05-06, Tel: ; IMM Building, 2 Jurong East St 21, #02-10, Tel: ; Causeway Point, , #03-13, Tel: ; Excalibur Centre, 71 Ubi Crescent, #06-01/04, Tel: .
Other recipes using the Bamix Magicwand: