Easily my favourite tool in the kitchen currently, the Bamix Magicwand is highly versatile and easy to use. Creamed Spinach is one of the very few vegetable-dominated dish that I enjoy immensely.
Here’s a simple and fail-proof recipe adapted from various recipes online.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped (leave one slice for garnish if you’d like)
- ½ clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml full-fat milk (I substituted full-fat milk for low-fat and it works fine)
- 2 bags of spinach
- 100ml cooking cream
- Fresh nutmeg for grating (you can use ground nutmeg if you don’t have fresh ones on hand)
- Salt & pepper
1) Blanch spinach in lightly salted boiling water till wilted and leave aside to cool.
2) Drain excess water but do not squeeze dry. Some water helps the spinach blend easier. Place Bamix Magicwand hand blender and start blending till you reach desired consistency. I don’t want it too finely blended so it didn’t take me long.
3) Heat butter in saucepan, then add onion (including the garnish piece) and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and sauté till fragrant. (Take out the garnish piece at this point and set aside.)
4) Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes, then start whisking in the milk gradually till you reach a smooth consistency. When all the flour has been incorporated, gently cook for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
5) Stir in blended spinach into the saucepan, add cream and gently heat.
6) Finely grate over some nutmeg (or add ground nutmeg) and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Other recipes using the Bamix Magicwand:
Bamix hand blenders are available at the following Mayer Marketing showrooms: Great World City, 1 Kim Seng Promenade, #02-25, Tel: ; Plaza Singapura, , #05-06, Tel: ; IMM Building, 2 Jurong East St 21, #02-10, Tel: ; Causeway Point, , #03-13, Tel: ; Excalibur Centre, 71 Ubi Crescent, #06-01/04, Tel: .